Sequencing.com - Silverberry Genomix Vitamin Deficiency App

Discuss yourDNAportal genetic health risks results

Topic author
Arcadiaville
Ethnicity: British Isles Mostly

Sequencing.com - Silverberry Genomix Vitamin Deficiency App

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:09 pm

For those curious about genetic testing for health traits, I recently tried the free Vitamin Deficiency app featured on DNA company Sequencing.com and developed by a firm called Silverberry Genomix. I recommend doing research about privacy and accuracy risks before submitting your DNA with consumer genetic test companies, but since I jumped into the brave new world several years, I will serve as a guinea pig with my results.

Overall, I was surprised by the number of moderate risks and very high Vitamin A (Retinol) risks. Thus far, I have been fairly healthy, and besides an iron deficiency at times, have not shown any obvious dietary effects on my physical well-being.
Attachments
Sequencing.com-Silverberry_Vitamin Reports.JPG
Sequencing.com-Silverberry_Vitamin Reports.JPG (112.19 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Last edited by Arcadiaville on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Re: Sequencing.com - Silverberry Genomix Vitamin Deficiency App

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:11 pm

Here is an example of the vitamin report for my highest deficiency with the Silverberry Genomix app, Vitamin A (Retinol):
Attachments
Sequencing.com-Silverberry_Vitamin Reports_Vitamin A.JPG
Sequencing.com-Silverberry_Vitamin Reports_Vitamin A.JPG (181.17 KiB) Viewed 353 times

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Re: Sequencing.com - Silverberry Genomix Vitamin Deficiency App

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:21 pm

I was curious to receive a relatively low risk with the Vitamin D trait. I live in a slightly Northern, cool and cloudy climate and work indoors. A few years ago, I became interested in my Vitamin D results after developing strong sunlight sensitivity (light eyes and dry-eye condition) and started to avoid heavy sun exposure. Therefore, I ordered a home blood test which revealed my levels to be within low range of normal.

While I am still skeptical of the accuracy at this early stage, the App results seem to correlate with my blood test to show that in spite of low Vitamin D dietary intake and sun exposure, my genetics may render me less deficiency-prone. What appears uncertain to me as novice consumer is whether all of the vitamin-related genes have yet been identified to generate reliable results.

Return to “Your Health Risks”