Eurogenes North Atlantic & Red Sea

Ask questions, share ideas and discuss genetic ancestry and health. Get answers from subject matter experts.

Topic author
Ksearle69 United States of America

Eurogenes North Atlantic & Red Sea

Post by Ksearle69 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:18 pm

Can someone help me with these places ?
North Atlantic
North Sea
Its from K36 I just want to know once and for all where this is?
I googled and still do not understand. Is there a place where we can find definitions of places?

tdd85 United States of America
Y-DNA haplogroup: R1b-L11
mtDNA haplogroup: U8b'c

Re: Eurogenes North Atlantic & Red Sea

Post by tdd85 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Percentage wise, (North) Atlantic and Baltic are usually my top two results.

I could be way off, but when I think North Atlantic I think the UK, Ireland, and a part of France. North Sea to me would be Germany and Scandinavia mostly. Somebody else will probably be able to provide a more accurate answer. There seems to be a lot of overlap between the two.

Arcadiaville
Ethnicity: British Isles Mostly

Post by Arcadiaville » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Ksearle69 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:18 pm
North Atlantic
North Sea
I googled and still do not understand. Is there a place where we can find definitions of places?
I searched on the Eurogenes project website for a discussion of K36 population categories without success. I believe that the North Atlantic is loosely conflated with "Celtic" or native western British Isles (Irish, Scottish) and North Sea with Germanic populations around N. Sea (N. Germany, Holland, Denmark).

Eurogenes Project:

https://bga101.blogspot.com/2013/03/eur ... match.html

Below is the closest I could come to finding population descriptions on Eurogenes website after 5-minute search. It is based on CEU sample that a lot of British testers generate in admixture calculators including me:

"So the CEU set is not a homogeneous one, and carries clear substructures that can be picked up via fairly basic means. However, this doesn't make the CEU samples less valuable, but more so, due to the lack of public access to continental Northwestern European samples. Secondly, the test reveals some interesting information about the genetic substructures within Northwestern Europe. Here are some of my observations:

- Scandinavians often show very high levels of the North-Central European component, and moderately high levels of the North Atlantic component. Many also carry clear amounts of the Baltic component, but, as a rule, lower levels of the Southern European component.

- Germans mainly differ from the Scandinavians in that they carry the Southern European component at appreciable amounts. They show variable amounts of the Baltic component, with those from eastern Germany carrying the highest levels.

- Irish project members, especially those from western Ireland, show very high levels of the North Atlantic component, but low levels of the Southern European component.

- Western British samples, like those from Cornwall or western Scotland, are generally very similar to the Irish, mainly in that they carry the North Atlantic component at high levels. However, they often show somewhat higher levels of the Southern European component."

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread. ... .autosomal

"For what it's worth, my Ancestry DNA pie chart was 56% Scandinavian, 34% Central European, and 10% Uncertain. My Eurogenes K35 analysis came back with about 20% North Sea, about 18% Iberian, and about 13% North Atlantic as my three highest matches."

AncestryDNA may have mis-reported his Scandinavian admixture, but if not, then would the Iberian score be rather high for a Germanic tester and N. Atlantic score rather low if a British tester?

Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Ksearle69 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:18 pm
North Atlantic
North Sea
Were you primarily interested in N. Sea and N. Atlantic or Red Sea and N. Atlantic? I responded below assuming that you were interested in N. Sea due to proximity to N. Atlantic component in your scores. I believe that the Red Sea component is generally low or non-existent in average British tester.

Talorgan MacDerelei
Ethnicity: Scottish
Y-DNA haplogroup: R1b L21
mtDNA haplogroup: H3

Post by Talorgan MacDerelei » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:23 pm

This is an interesting discussion from a few years ago discussing the components of the K36 Calculator in relation to deeper ancestry.

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/3 ... calculator

Talorgan MacDerelei
Ethnicity: Scottish
Y-DNA haplogroup: R1b L21
mtDNA haplogroup: H3

Post by Talorgan MacDerelei » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm

And also here; this discussion is probably better.

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/3 ... correspond

Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Talorgan MacDerelei wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm
And also here; this discussion is probably better.

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/3 ... correspond
A tangent ... Eupedia.com is a commercialized site with a nebulous owner ("perfect European" due to living in many different regions in Europe and other countries) who thinks genealogy is dumb (tracing lineage with family trees & caring about 'dead ancestors') but apparently not genetic ethnicity. His wife is not of European descent so which ethnic interests is he more of an expert in? One Moderator, who does not live in Europe, is a self-declared "Citizen of the World," which does not sound very Euro-centric for a supposedly European-sounding website. There seems to be, from intermittent lurking, a tendency for the ethnic genetic discussions to be moderated by Americans or S. Americans. Are these renowned in any history or scientific fields but using aliases for anonymity due to contentious nature of ethnic discussions? Possibly they wish to be a go-to International site for the burgeoning field of genetic genealogy but anchored to a site that suggests that it would focus on Europeans.

Return to “Welcome to the new independent yourDNAportal forum”