My True Ancestry.com - Archaeogenetic Samples & Maps

Topic author
Arcadiaville
Ethnicity: British Isles Mostly

Re: My True Ancestry.com - Archaeogenetic Samples & Maps

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:38 pm

I now match the Cheddar Man in Deep Dive feature which is pretty exciting with having mostly British heritage:
Attachments
My True Ancestry_Deep Dive_Update_Cheddar Man.JPG
My True Ancestry_Deep Dive_Update_Cheddar Man.JPG (111.94 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Aoda France
Ethnicity: French & Italian
mtDNA haplogroup: W3a1

Post by Aoda » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:13 pm

The Calvert match is a bit weird, really. My Mom has no recent ties to the British Isles, but as you can see on the map, she has many ancient matches there (which I don't have). Of course, I take all this with a huge grain of salt :-)

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:29 pm

Aoda wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:13 pm
The Calvert match is a bit weird, really. My Mom has no recent ties to the British Isles, but as you can see on the map, she has many ancient matches there (which I don't have). Of course, I take all this with a huge grain of salt :-)
If the site ever genotypes Charlemagne and shows me with a higher match than with you and your mother, being much more French, I will surrender! For now, the site is quite fun with very snazzy charts and graphics. I will try not to get too attached to my Cheddar Man match before all is said and done, however. :D

Aoda France
Ethnicity: French & Italian
mtDNA haplogroup: W3a1

Post by Aoda » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:27 pm

LOL, you could very well be more closely related to Charlie than me or my Mom, since he's suppposed to be the "Father" of all Europeans alive today. As an aside, what gets a bit on my nerves is I've seen people (on various groups) claim that Charlie was their 30something grandfather and when I ask for genealogical evidence, nobody seems able to give any serious answer. WHERE/HOW do you find records for this? It seems everyone (especially in the US) wants to be related to old European nobility. My Mom has built her family tree to the XVIIth C, and all we have (or almost all we have) are peasants!
Oh, and I forgot, she also matches her: (I haven't re-checked your results, do you have her too?)

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Aoda wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:27 pm
Oh, and I forgot, she also matches her: (I haven't re-checked your results, do you have her too?)
Drats, no match with the mighty Birka Shield Maiden! Most of my matches hover around the peasant or plague survivor victims. At least I inherited a pretty good immune system if overall lowly social status. LOL!

I have a match at 23andMe with a kindly, older Australian lady who is passionate about genealogy. I get a kick out of her claim that she has traced our lineage back to King Alfred the Great circa 800s in England. Fun to tell around cocktail parties, at least. ;)

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:56 pm

I have a #5 Archaeogenetic match with one of the newest Iron Age samples from My True Ancestry: Late Iron Age Linton Cambridgeshire (205 BC).

I researched the Linton region & history online and discovered that it was originally recorded as "Lintone" in the Domesday Book in 1086. At that time, it was still a rural village near Cambridgeshire, England, with only 27 households and two mills. Wow, look at how time changes! We barely have any mills anymore.

Here are all of the latest samples releases from the company:

Updated Deep Dive:
- Deep Dive Awards! If you are among the top 10 matches to a given sample, get FREE full access to research the sample and discover how you rate among others who share DNA with the sample
- Longest SNP chains now shown

Exciting NEW Samples:
- Linton Cambridgeshire Iron Age
- South Africa samples
- Iron Age Russia
- Iron Age Baltics
- Iron Age Kazkhakstan
- plus more Italy: Neolithic + Medieval + Roman

Sunshine1978 United States of America

Post by Sunshine1978 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:38 am

Hey all! I'm new here! I did Ancestry.com results with My True Ancestry very recently. I even bit the bullet to pay for the King level (my curiosity got the better of me!).

I guess my biggest, burning question is exactly how REAL are these results from My True Ancestry?

Viking + Scythian (3.508)
Scythian + Avar (5.369)
Viking + Kievan Rus (5.664)
Viking + Avar (6.674)
Viking + Ostrogoth (7.949)
Avar (8.858)
Scythian (10.04)
Viking (11.52)
Ostrogoth (13.13)
Kievan Rus (14.51)

The smaller the number, the greater the likelihood that it describes you, but what if it's a combo (ie. Viking + Scythian)? Should I just infer that I'm a bit of an American mutt? LOL. Just trying to see if I fully understand all of it, since the world of ancient DNA ancestry is still relatively new to me. :D

Also, I'm apparently connected to the Birka Shield-Maiden as well. But if it says I'm 43% closer to her than other users, does that just mean it's a guess and not definite?

In any case, I'd say the info so far seems to corroborate what I know about our family's history (as limited as it is). I know my father's side is Slovak/Polish and my mother's, "German" (aka. a mixture of central German, East Prussian, Pomeranian) and Swedish blood. Guess that must be where the Vikings fit in...

So fun to see other people also studying their results as intensely as I do. LOL!!!

Return to “other”