How to measure Scandinavian DNA

Discuss your genetic genealogy and DNA ancestry results

Topic author
Leah Great Britain

How to measure Scandinavian DNA

Post by Leah » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:25 am

Hi all, I’m currently fascinated with my Scandinavian DNA and believe it’s due to the Anglo Saxon and Viking settlements and mixing. My Ancestry.co.uk estimate was 47% ‘Scandinavian’ and then dropped to 9% Sweden and 3% Norway. What is the best admixture calculator to measure Scandinavian heritage? Under what ethnicity encompasses Scandinavia as it’s unclear also?
And is it possible to narrow down what migration this came from? If it helps my family can be traced back to East Anglia/Suffolk for hundreds and hundreds of years. I am aware this territory was under Danelaw for around 100 when the Vikings raids took place. But also the Saxons were from southern Scandinavia.

Secondly I’d love the hear from anybody else British who has a significant amount of Scandinavian DNA. I believe any Germanic DNA we have likely can from Celtic migrations? Not sure. Interested in British genetics!

Arcadiaville
Ethnicity: British Isles Mostly

Re: How to measure Scandinavian DNA

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:53 pm

I wish that I had the technical expertise to answer genetically how to measure populations, but I currently appreciate the UK Oxford Wellcome Trust project which DNA company LivingDNA company incorporates into their test. The company attempted to map the genetic diversity of Britain by implementing stringent sampling methodology. Although I believe that the current DNA test has it critics in terms of accuracy, the company seems determined to find reputable samples such as via the Great GP all in same region standard utilized by the Wellcome Trust research center.

This info. is from an older Wired magazine interview, but it may not be entirely debunked yet:
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/genetic-mapping-britain

It was shown that people in Norway, Sweden and Denmark are all, genetically, very distinct. Picking out Norway as an example, the genetic similarities to mainland Britain were very slim. However, comparing the data to participants from the Orkney Islands showed that about a quarter of their DNA shared similarities with Norway.

Given that Orkney was part of Norway in the ninth century, it looks like there has not been a great deal of diversity on the islands.

Similarly, about half the DNA of participants from the south-east exhibited a prevalent Anglo-Saxon and Viking influence -- participants in these locations shared DNA with groups from Belgium, Germany and Denmark where these distant ancestors originated.

Wales, by comparison, presented very few interferences from migrant groups. Here, the DNA had similarities with what Donnelly referred to as the Irish compound. Remnants of the Irish and French DNA are considered to be ancient DNA because they are present in all groups in Britain. However in Wales, these markers were substantially more common, suggesting people from Wales may have some of the most ancient DNA in Britain.

Another up-&-coming DNA test company, My True Ancestry tries to match your DNA with ancient samples. While I have not seen professional validations of the company yet, their attempts at using real anthropological samples from burial sites sounds promising and a good check against companies with nebulous sample sources. Their website is also frequently updated with charts, graphs and other features that can be fun to play around with. I am just not certain if the matching is wholly accurate yet (I matched Birka Shield maiden later but not originally), but I qualify that I am a lay-person with no formal genetic training.

Return to “Genetic Ancestry DNA”