Discuss results from yourDNAportal

Topic author
Yaro
Y-DNA haplogroup: J-M205
mtDNA haplogroup: k1a4a1a2

Native American snp questions

Post by Yaro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:00 am

Hello everyone.

This is my first thread and post on the forum, so, first off, thanks for the amazing services on the main website.

I would like to answer a couple of questions. I'm from north-eastern Italy, and for what I know, I'm a full blood veneto man, by the way, from when I took the dna ancestry test for me and my father
I always found a small amount of ''suspect'' curious ancestry on Gedmatch and on other calculators around the internet.
Me and my father almost always score around 1-2% on North/NorthEast asian or/and Siberian and similar ancestry on gedmatch. On 23AndMe (my father took livingdna),on the first run, I socred few East Asian ancestry, and after the various updates, I scored some north -west asian.
On gedmatch some of our cromosomes scores high East Asian for an avarage western european, sometimes Arctic or Siberian, or even Amerind (more uncommon than the other traits I talked about).

On YourDNAportal, my results on the Native American ancestry page:

Me:
Number of SNPs (genetic markers) that we looked for: 2,581
Number of SNPs found and analysed: 86

Number of alleles analysed: 172
Your result is : 7 Native American alleles out of 172

My father:

Number of SNPs (genetic markers) that we looked for: 2,581
Number of SNPs found and analysed: 65

Number of alleles analysed: 130
Your result is : 5 Native American alleles out of 130

My mom and other italian friends scored just one or none, so I was impressed of the numbers about me and my father.

What does it mean? It is maybe some ancient ancestry from turks-magyar-huns- ancestors or something more recent?
On Adntrop App, I score 1.1% central Asian, and my father 7% Central and North Asian, which is really really weird.

My results on SAPDA are :
EAST AFRICAN 0% WEST EURASIAN 95.2% EAST EURASIAN 2.3% SIBERIAN - AMERICAN 2.5% WEST AFRICAN 0%

Maybe those are just stupid questions, but I'm really ignorant about dna stuff and I would like to know more.

Thank you

Dilawer Pakistan

Re: Native American snp questions

Post by Dilawer » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:51 am

There’s nothing stupid about your questions....

Please advise whether you were genotyped under 23andMe V5. If not, then under what service? Also your full SAPDA output will be helpful
EurasianDNA.com - A study of the population history of Eurasia with an emphasis on the demography of West & South Asia

Topic author
Yaro

Post by Yaro » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Dilawer wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:51 am
There’s nothing stupid about your questions....

Please advise whether you were genotyped under 23andMe V5. If not, then under what service? Also your full SAPDA output will be helpful
I was genotyped by 23andme 4 years ago and from the site I learned that it's automatically upgraded to v5.

My father was tested by livingdna which is worst thant 23andme, but still got 5 native snp on yourDNAportal.
I wonder how many if he takes 23andme or another better service.

My sapda results:
sapda.png
sapda.png (282.97 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
Ancestral east asian 2.30, ancestral siberian amerind 2.50

Dilawer Pakistan

Post by Dilawer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:14 pm

23andme V4 works fine. You appear to have 2 positions where you have 2 copies of Siberian alleles. Your results also show 2% E Eurasian and 2% Siberian under Ancestral. The most likely explanation is some ancestry from Iron Age Steppe nomads or Medieval Turkic expansions that affected a significant percentage of the European population.

I’m not familiar with the service you list “Adntrop”
EurasianDNA.com - A study of the population history of Eurasia with an emphasis on the demography of West & South Asia

Topic author
Yaro

Post by Yaro » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:21 pm

Dilawer wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:14 pm
23andme V4 works fine. You appear to have 2 positions where you have 2 copies of Siberian alleles. Your results also show 2% E Eurasian and 2% Siberian under Ancestral. The most likely explanation is some ancestry from Iron Age Steppe nomads or Medieval Turkic expansions that affected a significant percentage of the European population.

I’m not familiar with the service you list “Adntrop”
And it can show up even if it's from iron age or late medieval age because of a single or few nomad ancestors ? Venice had a very close relationship with the balkans and the turks, sometimes as enemies sometimes as allies. Maybe its because of it.

Arcadiaville
Ethnicity: British Isles Mostly

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:34 pm

I regret that I do not have anything scientific to add, but I consistently show a Native American score with 23andMe test vs. 0 NA alleles with the feature on YourDNAPortal. Thus far, 23andMe does not define a sub-region for %.

Topic author
Yaro

Post by Yaro » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Arcadiaville wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:34 pm
I regret that I do not have anything scientific to add, but I consistently show a Native American score with 23andMe test vs. 0 NA alleles with the feature on YourDNAPortal. Thus far, 23andMe does not define a sub-region for %.
I honestly never trust too much the basic autosomal schemes from every major ancestry service, especially for low-percentage results. I prefer to compare autosomals from DNAportal and gedmatch and try to find out something more.

Arcadiaville
Ethnicity: British Isles Mostly

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:02 pm

I have taken Dilawer Khan's K5 Admixture text recently offered at Gene Plaza.com. I scored 4.3% on the Siberian / Native-American component which appeared to be higher than average "English" score, or closest population to my paper-trail ancestry.

92.8% - W. Eurasian
4.3% - Siberian – American-Indian
1.6% - S. Eurasian
1.3% - E. Eurasian
0.0% - Basal Eurasian - Africa

This test seems interesting for its divergent method over commercial genetic ancestry tests:

Differences between the Eurasia K5, commercial ancestry tests, and other Admixture program based calculators:

In contrast to commercial ancestry tests and other Admixture program based calculators, the Eurasia K5 is designed to detect TOTAL DEEPER RELATEDNESS between the test subject and the aforementioned divergent populations than other tests.

Commercial DNA ancestry tests can detect East or South Asian ancestry in Europeans or West Asians only if there is recent admixture, however they are not designed to find older such ancestry that may have introgressed during Medieval, Iron Age, Bronze Age, or Neolithic times. Similarly other Admixture program based calculators do the same. The reason for this is that a test subject's DNA is compared to many other West Asian or European populations and many South or East Asian DNA segments go unreported because they are incorporated into the West Asian or European references via older admixture from Iron Age Steppe nomads or Turkic migrations into West Asia and Europe. In other words these older East or South Asian DNA segments are not reported under East or South Asian in the test subject's test results. This calculator seeks to find those older East Eurasian, South Eurasian, Siberian, and Basal Eurasian/African segments in the user's DNA.

CultureBuff1989 United States of America
yourDNAportal profile: https://www.yourdnaportalforum.com/culturebuff1989

Post by CultureBuff1989 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:56 pm

How do we determine if this is actual Siberian/native ancestry/admixture vs just shared ancient alleles?

Return to “yourDNAportal”