Ice Cream Flavor Preference - 23andMe Trait Predictor

Discuss yourDNAportal genetic traits results

Topic author
Arcadiaville
Ethnicity: British Isles Mostly

Ice Cream Flavor Preference - 23andMe Trait Predictor

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Can your genes predict if you will be a plain vanilla or decadent chocolate kind of ice cream person?
23andMe_Traits_Ice Cream Flavor.JPG
23andMe_Traits_Ice Cream Flavor.JPG (18.8 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
In my case, 23andMe got it slightly wrong as I slightly prefer vanilla flavor over chocolate in ice cream. I find nothing "plain" about vanilla as it actually comes from an exotic orchid seed pod that is difficult to propagate, making it the second most expensive spice after Saffron. Meso America is one of the prime growing regions, with the Spanish conquistador Herman Cortés being credited with introducing both vanilla and chocolate to Europe in the 1520s.

What is your favorite ice cream flavor, and if you have taken the 23andMe genetic test, would your trait prediction order you the right ice cream cone? :)

lg16 United States of America
Ethnicity: American

Re: Ice Cream Flavor Preference - 23andMe Trait Predictor

Post by lg16 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Mine said Vanilla. I do like Vanilla but would not turn down Chocolate. :D

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:56 am

lg16 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 pm
Mine said Vanilla. I do like Vanilla but would not turn down Chocolate. :D
I have not met any ice cream flavor that I would turn down! Who can I blame for those genes? :lol: Fortunately, I supposedly have the genes for lactose tolerance as frozen yogurt is not an equal dietary proxy.

I wonder if there is a genetic basis for ice-cream headache from over-consumption? LOL! ;)

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:03 am

23andMe has a blog post on the new Ice Cream trait test:

23andMe’s New Trait Report Puts a Cherry on Top of Your Ice Cream Preference
June 28, 2019 By 23andMe under Health and Traits

A new 23andMe trait report gives you the scoop on the genetics behind your ice cream flavor preference, or at least whether you’re more likely to ask for vanilla or chocolate on top of your ice cream cone.

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:18 am

Real or Pseudo-science? There is a Dr. of Neurology behind these flavor readings, but who do you trust more? 23andMe and your genes or him? :P
Personality Traits and Ice Cream Flavors

https://keyfoodservices.com/personality ... m-flavors/

Vanilla lovers are impulsive.

Vanilla is one of the simplest of ice cream flavors, but its fans are actually likely to be colorful, impulsive, idealistic risk-takers who “rely more on intuition than logic,” according to studies conducted by neurologist Dr. Alan Hirsch, founder of the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation. Vanilla lovers were also emotionally expressive and successful in close relationships. As for the research: Hirsch uses various standardized psychiatric test results to make statistical correlations, explaining that the same part of the brain (the limbic lobe) is responsible for both personality traits and food preference. Interestingly, Hirsch says the taste for your favorite ice cream is set during childhood and tends to remain consistent throughout your life.

Chocolate lovers are flirtatious.

If you prefer a chocolate scoop, Hirsch determined you are likely to be flirtatious and seductive, and also lively, charming, dramatic, and gullible.

calpal Canada
Ethnicity: UK+French Canadian+Ukrainian
mtDNA haplogroup: T2a

Post by calpal » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 pm

I definitely prefer vanilla, but I'm still down for chocolate ice cream sometimes.

Topic author
Arcadiaville

Post by Arcadiaville » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm

calpal wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 pm

I definitely prefer vanilla, but I'm still down for chocolate ice cream sometimes.
I wonder how vanilla came to be dismissed as "plain vanilla" and boring. :) It is actually an exotic fruit of Orchid flower, efficient in cooking as both the seed and pod can be used, very expensive in the spice world (2nd to saffron), and very rich in flavor to my taste. 8-)

I still go for weekly doses of dark chocolate, however, for the medicinal benefits of reputed antioxidants. LOL! :D When consumed in an ice cream cone, sublime.

calpal Canada
Ethnicity: UK+French Canadian+Ukrainian
mtDNA haplogroup: T2a

Post by calpal » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:15 am

Arcadiaville wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm
calpal wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 pm

I wonder how vanilla came to be dismissed as "plain vanilla" and boring. :) It is actually an exotic fruit of Orchid flower, efficient in cooking as both the seed and pod can be used, very expensive in the spice world (2nd to saffron), and very rich in flavor to my taste. 8-)

I still go for weekly doses of dark chocolate, however, for the medicinal benefits of reputed antioxidants. LOL! :D When consumed in an ice cream cone, sublime.
I agree! The taste of vanilla to me is anything but plain, but I happen to find chocolate ice cream a little bit overpowering :D I do like dark chocolate though ;) .

Return to “Your Traits”