Surnames

Discuss your non-genetic genealogy, family tree and preferred online tree providers

Topic author
lg16 United States of America
Ethnicity: American

Re: Surnames

Post by lg16 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:16 pm

I've recently doing some research on my tree found that a couple of my Girling's married a couple of Baldry's and tracing the Baldry's back further turns into Boldero. I found this Interesting article on them. They were from the same area as my Girling's. :)

http://www.ixworthvillage.co.uk/2014/03 ... ro-family/

pendragon United States of America

Post by pendragon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:07 am

https://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Burke

Last name: Burke aka DeBurgh

SDB Popularity ranking: 332

This ancient and aristocratic English and Norman-Irish surname was first held by Burhred, the king of West Mercia, England, 852 - 874, and several centuries later by the original earls of Ulster and Clanricarde in Ireland. The surname is recorded in the spellings of Burgh, Burk, Burke, and Bourke, and is particularly popular in Ireland, where it has long held great state. The name is topographical, and originates from residence by, or probably the ownership of, a fortress on a hill. The derivation is from the Olde English pre 7th Century "burh", or the Anglo-Saxon "burg". The villages of Burgh in the county of Suffolk, and Burgh in Lincolnshire, England, are typical examples of the placename, and both provided early surname holders. The surname is distinguished by being amongst the very first ever recorded (see below), and other recordings include Geoffrey de Burk of Herefordshire, in 1272, and Hubert de Burk of Somerset in 1273. The name was introduced into Ireland by William de Burgo, of Burgh in Suffolk, who accompanied Strongbow, the earl of Pembroke, in the Anglo-Norman Invasion of 1169 and 1170. William de Burgo later succeeded him as Chief Governor of Ireland under King Henry 11 (1154 - 1189), and was rewarded with great estates. Amongst the many interesting name holders was Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797), the leading English statesmen of his day, whilst one of the first recorded passengers to the new American colonies was Jeffery Burke, who sailed on the sloop 'True Friendship" from Antigua to Virginia in 1679. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Ailricus de Burc, which was dated 1086, in the Domesday Book of Suffolk.

tdd85 United States of America
Y-DNA haplogroup: R1b-L11
mtDNA haplogroup: U8b'c

Post by tdd85 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 pm

I'm mostly researching my mother's side these days, specifically her maternal ancestry which is Rusyn/Ruthenian with roots in SE Poland, Western Ukraine, NE Slovakia, and who knows where else?!

Strilecky - Americanized version of Strzelecki (Polish) and I believe it's Streletsky when transliterated from Ukrainian. I think this means rifleman or something close to it.

Zaschak - Americanized version of Zoszczak (Polish). Transliterated from Ukrainian, I believe it comes out as either Zoshchak or Zoshchuk. I've read that the name comes from a Polish form of Sofia.

Krawczyszyn/Kravchyshyn/Kravcisin - Son of the tailor's wife.

Zahaczewski - Zahachevsky or Zagachevsky in Ukrainian? Not sure of the meaning, but there was a village in SE Poland called Zahoczewie so that must be where it comes from.

Dwulit - Dvulit from Ukrainian. Unsure of the meaning.

Pawleczko - Pavlechko or Pavlychko. From Pavel?

Those are the family names I've been researching. As you might imagine, it hasn't been very easy! :lol:

Return to “Genealogy, Family Trees, Surnames”